START A GROUP
Choosing A Study
Ask the Lord for direction as you seek to know what topic or book of the Bible you should study. As you plan, pray that God would bring together those who are to join you.
If your group is new to inductive Bible study we suggest beginning with one of the following studies:
- One of the 40 Minute series, such as Turning Your Heart Toward God or How Do You Know God’s Your Father?
- The New Inductive Study Series – particularly 1 & 2 Thessalonians, Galatians & Ephesians, or Ezra
- Lord Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 Days
Please Note: The New Inductive Study Series (NISS) does not have the Bible text in the book and therefore to do your markings you will need the Bible text. Your options are:
PUP GROUPS WITH NEW LEADERS
We suggest that new Precept-Upon-Precept (PUP) groups with new leaders might begin with:
- Genesis Part 4 (Isaac) or Genesis Part 5 (Joseph)
- Ezra/Haggai – Rebuilding the Temple
- Kings & Prophets 5: Where are you going? – A Study on Jonah
- Matthew Part 1 and Mathew Part 2
Please note: To lead a PUP group we recommend that you attend one of our training workshops. please contact us or look for a planned training course here.
PLANNING YOUR STUDY GROUP
Choosing your place and time to meet
Meeting in a home is often a good place, provided you have adequate seating. Church buildings of course can also be a very good place to meet. The workplace is likely to require permission but think creatively about where and when to meet. We have had groups that meet in pubs and cafés.
Other things to think about
Identify someone who can co-lead with you or step in should you be unwell or away and help with ordering your study materials, setting up the room etc. Ordering through Precept Ministries Scotland helps fund the ministry and training of more people in Inductive Bible Study. Place your order online or by phoning 07714 999 792.
You can ‘take a look’ at the first week (or part thereof) of some of the studies and some can be printed before you buy it. This can be helpful if you have people who join your group at the last minute and have not yet bought a book! To do this go to the online shop.
We advise you to:
- Inform your Church leader if you plan to start your own group. Precept Ministries Scotland is here to support and help build the Church.
- Be cautious about introducing Precept studies into existing groups unless all members agree to do it. To help them decide, consider taking other group members through a Lightning study first to give them a taster. More Lightning studies here.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST
Prayer is key, so do contact the office as we will pray too.
We strongly advise all those new to inductive study to stick with it – we recommend at least 4-6 separate sessions, so that a proper assessment of the method can be made. Sometimes people initially question the effectiveness of marking the text and using other inductive skills because it is a new way of study for them, but later they realise how beneficial, helpful and practical it really is.
07714 999 792
Please leave a message as the phone is unmanned. We will get back to you as soon as we can.
Scottish Charity No: SC039093
Get In Touch
Please feel free to contact us